NENA Knowledge Base Frequently Asked Questions
What is the NENA Knowledge Base?
NENA Knowledge Base is a resource for readers of NENA publications and for the members of the NENA Development Group committees that prepare them. It includes:
- The NENA Knowledge Base Glossary: Terms and abbreviations used in the 9-1-1 community and in NENA publications. Terms or groups of related terms each have their own "page."
- NENA Development Group Articles: Articles are Knowledge Base Pages containing information prepared by the NENA Development Group Committees Working Groups responsible for the preparation of NENA standards and other documents.
- NENA Development Group Guide: A collection of articles that describe how the NENA Development Group develops and approves documents and supporting material for the 9-1-1 community. It includes information and resources to assist NDG leaders in managing their groups according to NENA's policies.
What are the benefits of the NENA Knowledge Base?
- Glossary terms are used consistently in NENA publications.
- Easy Internet access from most devices.
- Cross-reference links to related material.
Aren't there better, public sources for the information and Glossary terms in the Knowledge Base?
Many of the terms in the Glossary may have good, detailed definitions elsewhere. But none of them address how NENA standards deal with the topic, and few of them direct readers to the relevant NENA documents.
What is a Knowledge Base "Page"?
A Knowledge Base Page is a Web page (like this one) that is part of the NENA Knowledge Base. A Page may contain a Glossary term or an Article. Every page includes a unique title, a Web URL and is usually assigned to one or more Categories. Every Page may be downloaded as a PDF document.
What is a Knowledge Base "Category"?
Categories identify whether a page is part of the NENA Knowledge Base Glossary, an Article, part of the NENA Development Group Guide, or something else. Categories may determine the kinds of approvals that are required to make changes to a page. The list of Categories and the pages identified in those categories may be displayed on a special page here.
These categories have special significance and different approval processes:
- Glossary Pages in the Glossary category contain terms that have been defined and approved in published NENA documents or as a result of an approved ISF.
- Admin Pages in the Admin category contain processes and procedures that the DSC requires for NENA Development Group operations. These pages may include processes described in NENA-ADM-001 as well as those processes that do not directly affect ANSI requirements. Admin category pages may only be changed after approval by the DSC, following an All-Committee Review.
- Guide Pages in the Guide category contain Help pages for how to use NENA's forms and Workspace resources for conducting NENA Development Group business. These pages may be changed by the References Working Group and may appear in a temporary Proposed category for review and comment.
- Proposed There may be several Proposed categories. Changes proposed by the References Working Group that do not materially affect definitions but are suggested for organization or clarity may be placed in one of the Proposed categories where they may be reviewed made available for comment.
How do you get to the NENA Knowledge Base?
The NENA Knowledge Base is available on the Internet here: NENAkb.org
It may be accessed from computers and from mobile devices.
What is the Glossary?
The Glossary is made up of all of the pages in the Glossary category and includes terms, abbreviations and their definitions that are used in the emergency services community and in NENA publications.. Most Glossary pages also include references to NENA publications and some have references to external sources. The items in the Glossary are contributed by NDG Working Groups in approved documents and other reference material. There are guidelines for what kinds of terms should be added to the Glossary.
Who can submit requests to add, change, or delete pages in the NENA Knowledge Base?
Anyone may submit an ISF (Issue Submission Form) describing a requested add, change, or deletion on the NENA Knowledge Base. Click here to see how.
How do I ask a question about the NENA Knowledge Base?
Who approves changes to the NENA Knowledge Base?
Most changes to the NENA Knowledge Base are approved in the normal document development approval process including DSC and NENA Board approval after Public Review. Terms in glossary tables that are in approved publications are considered to be approved for addition to the NENA Knowledge Base Glossary. If NENA reference (REF) material is approved and if it specifies addition as a NENA Knowledge Base article, that material is also considered to be approved for addition to the NENA Knowledge Base as an Article.
Changes submitted with an ISF (Issue Submission Form) must be approved by the DSC (Developmennt Steering Council) before the changes may be made to the Knowledge Base.
Proposed editorial changes made by the References Working Group and changes to Guide pages are published in the Knowledge Base in a "Proposed" category and offered for comment. Pages in a "Proposed" category and will be considered approved unless rejected by the DSC.
Changes to pages in the Admin category may only be changed after approval by the DSC following an All-Committee Review.
What discretion does the References Working Group have in making changes to the NENA Knowledge Base?
The References Working Group is required to implement these changes:
- Additions or changes published in approved NENA publications.
- Additions or changes in Issue Submission Forms (ISFs) approved by the DSC.
The Group may make these changes without advanced approval:
- Correcting spelling or grammar errors.
- Correcting links to relevant NENA documents or external references.
- Adding links for terms in NENAkb Glossary or Article pages.
- Additions or changes for Guide pages that do not include process or policy provisions.
The Group may propose adds, edits, or deletions for review by NDG members for certain situations:
- Moving terms from individual Glossary entries and aggregating them into another term or article.
- Adding multiple definitions to a Glossary term.
- Adding an external reference.
- Deleting a term that is not used in any NENA publication or does not conform to Glossary guidelines.
These proposed changes are published in the Knowledge Base in a temporary "Proposed" category and offered for anyone to submit a comment. Pages in a "Proposed" category will be considered approved unless rejected by the DSC.
Only members of the References Working Group designated as Editors have site permissions to add, edit, or delete pages in the NENA Knowledge Base.